If you are recovering from COVID there are some natural remedies you can use at home to recover quicker.
First eat a healthy diet. Using Chinese medicine principles we look at food therapy differently. We don’t just look at the vitamins, minerals and calories of food, we consider the energy of food. In Chinese medicine we recommend eating cooked food. Most people with COVID will have a very thick tongue coating. This shows internal “dampness” in the body. The tongue is one of our diagnostic tools to access the condition of the body. The best time to look at your tongue is first thing in the morning.
It is better to not eat anything cold or raw especially at this time when you are sick because that takes energy out of your body. You want to eat foods that are rich in nutrients and are easy to digest. Foods that will increase the thick tongue coating and mucus are sugar, any sugary drinks or snacks.
No dairy, milk or yogurt because that will increase phlegm production.
Cold or raw foods includes watermelon, green melons, cantaloupe or papaya. These are considered cold by Chinese medicine food therapeutics.
Avoid alcohol and smoking.
Avoid all seafood (both fresh water and seafood), mango, duck, goose. These will increase histamine effect. Also avoid fatty foods, fried foods. These foods should be avoided not only for COVID, but also for all colds and flu. Foods TO eat are foods that are nutritious and easy to digest such as apples, grapes, oranges, lots of chicken broth cooked with onions and garlic, beef bone broth, pearl barley, and mung bean.
Following these 6 tips will help you recover from COVID quicker:
- Eating a healthy diet as covered above.
- Rest – sleep and rest as much as possible. Lounging with a computer or watching Netflix is not resting because you are still using your eyes and your mind. Also sleeping from 10am to 7am is much better that sleeping from 3am to 12pm. The quality of sleep you get from the former is far superior than the later. The way you feel will be much better with the earlier schedule because you are sleeping at the right time according to Chinese medicine.
- Do deep breathing exercises.
- Watch funny movies. Don’t watch the news, anything depressing or scary. Funny movies will put you in a good mood and produce T cells. Laughter is good medicine.
- Sweat it out. If you have a fever take a hot bath and sweat it out. You can also use mugwort or aiye. You can boil this on your stove and add it to your bath water. Mugwort has medicinal effects to push out the pathogens.
- Consult with your licensed acupuncturist or herbalist. Work with them not only when you have COVID but after too to take care of any residual symptoms. There are specific herbs that can greatly help with this kind of condition. It is best to not self-prescribe because Chinese herbs are based on diagnosis. An example would be if someone were to take astragalus when they have COVID, or any kind of cold be because you were told it would help your immune system. That could make your condition much worse. Whenever you have any kind of exterior pathogen you do not want to take any tonic herbs because that could worsen the condition. In essence you would be trapping the pathogen inside. For Chinese herbs it is best to consult a professional.
If you need help with this you can make an appointment online here.
In better health,
Steven Sonmore, L.Ac.